Oclaro, Inc. (Nasdaq: OCLR), is a leader in optical components, modules and subsystems for the core optical, enterprise and data center markets. Leveraging more than three decades of laser technology innovation, photonics integration, and subsystem design, Oclaro’s solutions are at the heart of the fast optical networks and high-speed interconnects driving the next wave of streaming video, cloud computing, voice over IP and other bandwidth-intensive and high-speed applications.
JOB TITLE: Senior Firmware Development and Verification Engineer
REPORTS TO: Firmware Manager
JOB PURPOSE: New and existing product firmware development & verification
Experienced firmware (embedded software) engineer, preferably with experience of optical or electronic design. Will join an existing Firmware R&D team and contribute to the development of new components and modules for optical transmission systems.
The role will involve;
- Requirements capture, design, documentation, implementation and test of the embedded software controlling receivers, transmitters and modules for high bit optical communications systems
- Development of regression/verification tests/scripts for newly developed embedded software
- Debugging issues identified, documenting and sharing the resolution with the rest of the Firmware team – including hands on investigation of the target software
- Re-use of existing code/platforms to minimise duplication of effort
- Sharing idea’s/code with the rest of the team, for the overall success of the team
- Following good software development practice including developer verification, code review, version control, independent verification and release in a controlled environment
- Working on you own to deliver assigned tasks. Working as part of a team with other firmware, hardware, and product engineers to find solutions to complex problems
- Product, Optical & Electronic Engineers
- Fellow Firmware Development and Regression Engineers
Education/Qualification – Minimum:
- Honours degree or equivalent in physics, electronics, optics or equivalent technical discipline.
- At least 5 years of writing software for embedded systems
- Detailed knowledge of C in an embedded resource-constrained environment
- Knowledge of RTOS & microcontrollers
- Demonstrated ability to follow defined development processes and procedure is vital to this role along with input into their continuous improvement
- Use of integrated development environments and debugging using JTAG/SWD type interfaces
- Developing test cases based on the customer specification
- Working with source code management tools
- Practical measurement techniques and result analysis
- Electronic systems – including hardware/schematics knowledge
- Knowledge of FPGA’s and embedded processor cores is advantageous
- Developing verification scripts in C# and/or other scripting type languages
- Experience of development using FreeRTOS and Cortex M3 processors is beneficial
- Development in an Agile environment using Jira
- Optical Communication systems
The candidate will have to demonstrate that they are capable of working within a team environment and have proven practical experience in completing given tasks. Their technical background and hands-on skills will enable them to integrate quickly into an existing development team.
The candidate must demonstrate strong inter-personal communication skills. The candidate must be self-motivated and also have the ability to encourage and drive other members of the team.
Occasional travel to other Oclaro sites and customer premises may be required
Oclaro Technology Ltd is an equal opportunities employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, marital status, part-time and fixed term contract status, age, sexual orientation or religion or on the basis of disability.
Apply for this position