Oclaro, Inc. (Nasdaq: OCLR), is a leader in optical components, modules and subsystems for the core optical, enterprise and data center markets. Leveraging more than three decades of laser technology innovation, photonics integration, and subsystem design, Oclaro’s solutions are at the heart of the fast optical networks and high-speed interconnects driving the next wave of streaming video, cloud computing, voice over IP and other bandwidth-intensive and high-speed applications.
JOB TITLE: Senior Product Engineer
REPORTS TO: NPI Operations Product Engineering Manager
RESPONSIBLE FOR: Prototype Line
Required to perform engineering activities within the photonic components Prototype Line product engineering team. This team is responsible for the product development verification, test and transfer to manufacturing of packaged transmitters, receivers and modules for high bit rate optical communication systems.
The role will involve hands on assessment of new products from concept and prototype stages through to manufacturing.
- Contribute to the development and introduction to manufacture of new packaged components for next generation optical transmission systems through the Product Life Cycle Process
- Feedback into the design of new products, the testing of proto-types to demonstrate product feasibility, and the development and verification of test processes.
- Building a close link with the NPI and manufacturing process/product engineering teams will be required to ensure products & process are designed to be manufactured within the tolerance capabilities of the optoelectronic chips and the designated manufacturing equipment.
- Close working with R&D engineering with be required to feedback test and performance data and ensure packaging design meets the manufacturing requirements.
- Analysis of parametric performance distributions and yields and the management of improvement activities to ensure product cost targets can be met when the products are transferred to a contract manufacturer (CM).
- Preparation of reports to complete the stages of product development, and the preparation of product documentation.
- Take the lead role in the transfer of the products from the UK Pilot manufacturing facility to the designated CM, and provide on-going product support to the CM.
- Support the operational delivery of products samples to internal and external customers.
- R & D Engineering team
- NPI and product engineering teams
Education/Qualification – Minimum:
- Honours degree or equivalent in physics, electronics, optics or equivalent technical discipline.
- Knowledgeable Product Engineer, preferably with experience of optical, electronic, mechanical or product design
- Optical communications systems, components and design.
- Practical measurement techniques, data correlation and results analysis
- Familiarity with the use of software to automate laboratory measurements
- Analogue and digital design techniques, RF skills would be an advantage
- Knowledge and experience with the Product Life Cycle and NPI gate review process
- Manufacturing processes for optoelectronic devices
- Design for manufacture
The candidate will have to demonstrate that they are capable working within a team environment and have proven practical experience in completing given tasks. Their technical background and hands-on skills will enable them to integrate quickly into an existing product engineering team. The candidate must demonstrate strong inter-personal communication skills.
Oclaro Technology Ltd is an equal opportunities employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, marital status, part-time and fixed term contract status, age, sexual orientation or religion or on the basis of disability.
Apply for this position